Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Blitzen Trapper - Black River Killer, Big Black Bird

Even though the alliteration of the band name and their logo totally smack of 80s metal band, Blitzen Trapper is a folk-rock band from Portland, Oregon. On their latest EP, Black River Killer, these two jumped out at me.

Black River Killer is the first track, and it starts with a short, smooth acoustic guitar intro and then goes right into the vocals. A synthesizer comes in to lend the song an eerie, modern feel as the song rambles along. The singing immediately made me think of Jerry Garcia. Even the lyrics, which seem to tell the story of a man damned to kill again and again, are reminiscent of some of the Dead's more morbid tracks. In particular, the song reminds me of Stagger Lee and Mexicali Blues.



Big Black Bird opens with a muscular electric guitar lick and a harmonica. This song reminds me of Neil Young or the Band, but I guess (for my younger readers) the modern equivalents would be Wilco or My Morning Jacket. The chorus is upbeat and catchy, and Blitzen Trapper use harmonizing vocals to great effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment