Sunday, January 10, 2010

Lentils With Curried Tarka

My sister, Rachel, sent me this recipe by the same guy who's book I've been mostly following. It was pretty quick and easy and also didn't require a ton of shopping.


I made it with some modifications and it was pretty tasty. I mixed it with brown rice cooked with a little cumin and turmeric, and I used heated up whole wheat tortilla in place of Naan. It works for me.
  • I used vegetable broth instead of coconut milk. Probably less fattening that way, but also saltier.
  • FFR, one bunch of scallions is only about half a cup, so I was short on scallions for the recipe.
  • I used Garam Masala in place of the curry specified in the recipe. Pretty similar, and maybe better.
  • The lentils took longer than 30 minutes. At the end I took the top off so I could get rid of the water more quickly.
  • I didn't have a lemon to zest, so I just used lemon juice. Seemed OK.
  • The recipe didn't specify how much cilantro to use so I chopped up half a bunch. That seemed to work.
Here's the recipe on the NYT website.

No comments:

Post a Comment