Monday, June 28, 2010

Halloumi - Saltiest Cheese Ever


Although my motivation for cooking has waned since I started the blog, I've had some complaints from folks that I have not been blogging about food for a while. I wanted to set the record straight. I have cooked a few things, but I just haven't been blogging.

I tried making some halloumi the other day. The recipe was fairly easy to follow, and I would say worked fairly well. It took longer than I thought in part because the recipe does not really specify how long it should take. It tasted fine, but I think that no matter what one does with halloumi, it's going to come out a bit like (what I imagine) salted pork tastes like, a bit dry, tough, and overwhelmingly salty. Maybe for vegetarians, this is just what you're looking for once in a while, but I wish maybe there was a slightly less salty, less tough version of this food.

I threw mine into some heated up frozen veggies, and it did make a decent combo.

Happy, Maureen??

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE Haloumi cheese. LOVE IT. I discovered it in SA and have had trouble finding it here in the states. mmmmmm.....Thanks for reminding me of my affection for its salty goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can occassionally get Haloumi at Whole Foods, but, in my experience, mozzarella + salt creates a better texture and very similar taste.
    -Adam

    ReplyDelete