Friday, October 16, 2009

Bad Soup

I just made a shitload of bad soup, like a feed-a-small-country shitload. I guess it's not really bad. It's just not good.

Some things I learned:

- If the recipe doesn't look good, it might not taste good.
- If the recipe doesn't call for a pound of lentils and you just like lentils, do NOT put in a pound of lentils.
- If you have no clue what spices do what when, don't just throw more in because you think you have to make up for the pound of lentils you added to the recipe.
- If the recipe calls for a whole onion, dammit, get a whole onion.
- If all else fails, more salt and more pepper will make any soup better, not good, but better.

I won't bother posting the recipe because it's not one I'll repeat, but I did learn from this experience. I might have even learned a positive thing or two, but right now I'm not sure what that would be.

I'll be eating this epically mediocre soup for days. Anyone want some?

3 comments:

  1. maybe you can turn it into Dal and eat with rice? maybe add some vegan sausage to it to make it hardy. maybe some potato chunks and curry powder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. David, your sister said exactly what I was going to suggest. Thicken it up with some vegan sausage, you can also serve it with the Naan they now sell at virtually every grocery store. And if you want to be particularly experimental, toss hot sauce on it, I tend to do that to anything bland and it gives it the bite you miss, plus you can do this after you have finished cooking the meal- so no worries.

    You need failure to define success...don't lose your chef motivation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sausage thing really worked. Thanks sis and Mo!

    ReplyDelete