Sunday, October 11, 2009

Triple Berry Crisp

When you go to a friend's house, you're supposed to show up with a six pack or chips or something. Over the years, I would say I have not consistently followed this social norm. So I felt like after all this time, I needed to show up with something good. Thus I was inspired to make some Apple Crisp, but then I looked up some recipes and found this one, which was with berries, but looked good. I was also looking for recipes that weren't too fatty and too sugary, so this one fit that bill.

Does anyone have any thoughts on sugar and sweeteners in general in terms of health pros/cons? I mean I'm sure they cook differently, but that's a different question.

The recipe called for fewer berries than were in the packages than I bought, so I just estimated when I poured.

I put in the amount of granola in the recipe and the granola looked lonely, so I probably doubled it, which I think turned out to be a good idea.

I took the concoction to the Sunday poker game and everyone liked it, so I guess it worked even without a ton of sugar and butter.

Here's the original recipe. It was easy, fast and tasty.

1 comment:

  1. For this kind of baking (ie the kind where you're not tempering or developing gluten chains or making a Swiss cream) you have a lot more freedom to vary ingredient proportions. For a dish like this, if I needed more sweet and didn't want to use sugar, I'd just add more fruit. Especially if I was in a position to brown some apples and vary the flavors. I like that kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete